Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Week #6 ♦Thing #13 ♦Del.icio.us

I visited the SJLibraryLearning2’s Del.icio.us bookmarks and found some interesting sites. However, it wasn’t until I did a search for library cataloging that I found some really useful information. With a busy schedule every second counts, so anything that can make Internet searching more efficient and my life easier helps! My simple search returned over 5,000 bookmarks- some of my favorites as well as new sites I have never used. It was cool to see that my favorite sites were also the favorite sites of other library professionals.

This is one of those things that I knew existed, but never really took the time to explore and utilize. I often bookmark things at work and then become irritated when I can’t find the sites later when I am working at home. Del.icio.us would obviously solve this problem. I also think it could be a useful tool for libraries- both public and private. Librarians spend so much time carefully choosing print materials for their collections, but can’t always assist patrons with their web searches. I know I have seen my students settle for second rate information because the better information isn’t readily available. Del.icio.us could provide a workable solution to the problem. Librarians could post credible, reliable sites for easy patron access, keeping the library in the technology loop. I found a really good Library Journal article discussing this idea. Check it out at: http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/ca6476403.html

No comments:

Post a Comment